Another book recommendation: Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey, M.D. Dr. Ratey is a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. In this book, he discusses the remarkable new research that is being done linking running to the effective treatment of depression, anxiety, ADHD, hormonal changes, and cognitive changes that develop with age. He does a great job at making the research understandable to those not proficient in this arena and develops a compelling rationale for the positive effect of running on a wide range of mental disorders from childhood to aging adults.
- Episode 23: Dr. Doug Lisle Discusses Self-esteem and Nutrition in the Treatment of Mental Health Issues
- Episode 22: Defeat the Stigma Project’s Run Across Wisconsin
- Episode 21: Dealing with Depression as a Runner, an Interview with Steve Runner
- Episode 20: An Interview with Karl Hoppner
- Episode 19: An Interview with Suzy Favor Hamilton
Jo Torrisi on 5K Run for Hannah Bipolar is For Life on Episode 19: An Interview with… Arron on Episode 8: Patrick House, Winn… Teresa Benefield on Robin Williams – A Tragi…